Today I finished off the applique on the back of the bodice. Applique on the front is already done. That just leaves the couching to do. I need to test drive the pattern I plan on using to make up the bodice, so I'll probably make up another dress entirely, wear it to a few events and see how it feels before making up the Eleanora bodice.
I am finally working on Eleanora again. Yesterday I nearly finished the applique on the back of the dress. Just a small section on the outer edges to go. Add another three hours to the tally and time to get another reel of gold thread :).
Ok, so I have had a piece of blackwork sitting around for absolutely ages and a distinct lack of pretty headwear to finish of my dresses...so today was obviously the day to make a cawel. One hour later and it is complete. I just have to throw it in the washing machine to get the stabiliser out of it. :) Now to make a hat to wear with it.
Ball day. Just one or two bits to do before the ball...
I added trim to all pieces requiring trim, this was made up of gold lace, blue velveteen ribbon and strings of 'pearls' (beading foot is my new best friend). Then pleated and attached the skirt to the bodice by hand. Made up the shoulder loops and attached them. Then started on the bows and attaching the hanging sleeves to the bodice. I only had time to do the shoulder bows before getting ready to drive to the ball. Two trips to the shop in the middle, once for machine needles and then for cotton slowed things down a little.
I am not completely happy about the front closure, it just wasn't sitting right, so I stitched myself into my dress when I got to the ball :) Unfortunately, no really good pictures. I will take proper ones later, as well as making up the rest of the bows and getting around to making sleeves and underskirts. I will leave the dress on the mannequin for a while to help the skirt pleats settle in, at the moment they are just too puffy.
I do like the style of the dress and was pleased that the front kept the nice Elizabethan flat fronted look. More in this style to come I think.
And the Ball was fun, we had visitors from over east teaching classes :)
Lots of work done, but everything is in bits as I have been applying trim as I go. The hanging sleeves are finished (apart from pearls and bows) as is the skirt front. The bodice is ready for trim, skirt needs pleating, attaching and hemming and the small shoulder rolls need to be made. I did have to go and get some gold lace trim as I didn't have enough.
Tomorrow is a 'non sewing day' so I'll do a little more tonight and then finish it off on Saturday morning before the ball.
The bodice has been fitted, it looks a bit messy at this stage. As well as deciding to make a dress in five days, I have also changed the way I construct the bodice. I have used a light weight calico canvas, doubled down the front and back to give stiffness, single layer and cut on the bias on the sides to give a little ease. I have had to add a centre back seam because the bodice was much too loose. The hook and eye fastening has been machined in. Shoulder seams will be sewn together after silk is attached. I will cut a new pattern from this bodice as I have had to make lots of changes from my original bodice pattern.
I have three steel bones on each side of the front opening to keep the front of the dress smooth when I wear it. The back will have four-six plastic bones after I have pinned and cut the silk. I will leave the plastic bones under a pile of books today to make them sit flatter instead of curling this way and that.
Today's job - hand stitching the blue silk to the interlining. This afternoon I will cut the dress and sleeves. The silk is hanging up trying to drop some creases. Note to self....don't let satin weight silk get munted up in a box, its a bastard to iron. I'm still not sure what to line the inside of the hanging sleeves with. There must be something floating around here that will suffice.
Today (Monday) I sketched my dress for the Ball d' Aneala. I will be wearing this dress on Saturday. So far I have fitted the bodice (and refitted, and refitted etc) and it is ready to cut the silk. All of the fabrics are in my stash, so I'm not allowed to go and by anything for this dress, just use what is already here. Tomorrow I will cut the bodice and take it to work with me to start hand sewing it to the interling. Pictures to follow.
Time seems to fly these days and I don't always get things done as intended. Since getting my sewing machine fixed I have made an outfit for a Talk Like a Pirate Day event - which was rained out :(. Luckily we had a lunch at work, so I got to wear my pirate coat, hat and boots at least.
Currently I am working on a medieval / middle eastern outfit for an Arabian Nights event on Sunday. This is loosely based on a 16th c Persian outfit. Next week I need to make an Elizabethan dress for the Anealan Ball. Pictures ups soon.
I must get cracking on the Eleanora dress again though. If I want to wear it to the 12th Night Coronation in January I will find my self running out of time..again.
In the Society for Creative Anachronism I am known as Lady Rose Pennyngton, an English Lady residing in Elizabethan London.
Sixteenth century English and Florentine costume are my main focus areas, and I particularly enjoy the challenge involved in creating garments based on portraits. I have also made garb from other eras as they were required for particular events, and bits and pieces for people as needed.
In the future I intend to kep working towards period authencity and completeness of costume from head to toe. And of course, continuing to have fun costuming :)